Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Spider Webs





 I LIKE WEBS LYING ON THE GROUND


I LIKE WEBS IN BUSHES BOUND


I LIKE WEBS UP IN THE TREES


I LIKE WEBS DOWN IN THE LEAVES


I LIKE WEBS IN FLOWER BEDS


I JUST LOVE THOSE SPIDER WEBS


I love this time of year as it reminds me of when hubby and I first dated. I do want to tell you of how it all began at the Knoxville Halloween Carnival but first I should clarify that we did have one date while still in high school. My brother and I had been invited to my future sister's-in-law birthday party (hmmmm, it just occurs to me that her birthday is this time of year as well) and of course he was there. He has always had a motorcycle and asked if I wanted to take a ride. That was a totally foreign concept to me. Ride on the back of a motorcycle? How do I even get on it? What must I look like from behind? Since it was dark, I did climb on and held tight to this boy I barely remembered seeing in classes. But first, the bike would have to pull us both out of the straight-up graveled driveway. As I knew nothing of physics then (as if I do now), I was sure that as we tried to climb out of that hole, the front wheel would have to spin out and then the whole bike would fall backwards in an Evil Knievel stunt gone bad. Especially if the weight in the back was greater than it was in the front. Well, that was bit of an exaggeration since he was a big guy then and did not slim up until he was subjected to my cooking on a daily basis. We did take a quick spin around some dusty and unlit backroads before returning to the party. Little did I know those same roads would someday lead to my home for forty years.

That scary ride in the dark on the back of a motorcycle was not our one time only high school date. I don't really remember him asking me out afterwards but surely he must have. Although.........he never did actually ask me to marry him.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, associate fall and all it's accompaniments with first love - I met my husband in September and we married three years later in October. It's a wonderful time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for visiting my blog. Your cobweb photographs have completely won me over - they are wonderful. I love webs and wrote a poem about gossamer webs called ' weavers of grass' and it is from that poem that I take my blog name. I shall put you on my side bar - please call again. I love your romantic first meeting with your husband too. My husband is my second husband - my first one died after forty happy years together and I married the farmer, a bachelor farmer in the village where we lived. So far we have had eighteen happy years together -we are hoping for many more. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great spider web photos but better yet, great love story that you spun as intricate as a spider spins it's web.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story. Motorcycles are very exciting and also romantic to the young at heart. So, now we want to hear about when you proposed to him??

    ReplyDelete