Family Treasures

After only seven short years, our new house no longer has the minimalist decor I swore it would always have. Although I fully intend to have garage sales this summer to clear out the clutter, some things I will always keep.

The saying is, "I wouldn't take a million dollars for it." That is how I feel about this small handmade table I believe my grandpa made.

As I am now an orphan with only younger siblings, I have no way to authenticate this sweet table's history. But just in case, it is not for sale.

Table Made by Grandpa G

Although this pretty print in an original frame is not the same one Grandma had at the farm, it is still precious to me.

I must have been seven or eight years old when Grandma gently explained the meaning of the picture. She said Jesus sent an angel to watch over the two children as they crossed the broken bridge.

I think she wanted me to also notice how the older sister was helping her little brother in hopes I would be kinder to my own brother. Anyway, I am comforted to think of the angel's protection.

Print Depicting Angel Hovering Over Children Crossing Bridge

This little metal footstool was made by my Grandpa. I have this stool and another taller one that I am saving for my kids.

My Mother's daddy was a large, rough around the edges man and a welder by trade. I thought he looked like John Wayne.

Since he lived in Texas, we did not see him often. When I was growing up Texas was a lot farther away than it is now.

Mama took me and my brother on a train there once. We drank a lot of water out of the little cone shaped paper cups.

Metal Footstool Made by Grandpa G

I fell in love with these rubber squeaky dolls when I spotted them in a flea market. Someone told me later that my nine days younger cousin had a boy doll just like this one. He probably used it as a teether.

My cousin's name was Jimmy but they say I called him Shimmy. He died when we were fifteen.

Vintage Rubber Dolls

Christmas at my Oklahoma City Grandma's house always included these mischievous-looking bookend elves. They were displayed on a shelf above her picture window. I loved to look at them but was never allowed to touch them. I leave them out year-round.

Christmas Elves

This was Mama's lamp. She kept a philodendron growing in the lamp base as well. Her plants looked better than mine. She is such a pretty little redbird. I am keeping her.

Vintage Redbird Lamp

I plan to sell several vintage odds and ends I have collected over the years. They may have more monetary value but they are certainly less valuable than the ones handed down from family.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Uncle Morrice Dean

Happy Mothers Day