Fifties Fashion



Remember my Christmas present to myself was the 1950s magazines I found at the consignment store? Here is an advertisement I found in the March 1956 issue of Good Housekeeping. I am not loving the "salad bowl" hat but you have got to admit our mothers were stylish. I imagine she was headed out the door for a garden party or to play bridge with her friends. This was back in the days that mothers did not have to get out and work every day. It was also in the days that mothers did not get to go out and work every day. Why couldn't there be a happy medium....like work only when you want to?

Comments

  1. i do like the coat, but the gloves and hat would have to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jacket is adorable. I get kind of tired of always seeing everyone in jeans!
    Blessings,
    Lorilee

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was an elegant time.
    I'd like to work when I like and stay home when I like!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those were the days when folk had style.
    You would have never caught anyone in their p.j's in the store!
    I miss those times.

    Gorgeous outfit.. very stylish.

    I recently saw an ad for a company that sells sewing patterns from the 1930's through the 1970's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really think its a shame how we have lost the need to look presentable in public.
    How did that happen?
    When did stretch pants that you can see thru and tiny shirts to show it all off become the norm?
    I think it is sad that ladies don't dress more like ladies anymore.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the hat tickles me! Hope you have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Granted we have many more choices in life than our mothers once did. I think I would opt for the way it is now BUT I LOVE the nostalgia of those days, as you know! This fashionable ensemble is just such a delight! Oh, to wear hats and gloves! Homemade dinner foods, flour bins and sifters, lovely aprons....and Mom always home when you came home from school. More work, yes, but ah, to have the simplicity of that sweet life again! (Sorry your Mom's glasses broke when you were cleaning them!)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Uncle Morrice Dean

Happy Mothers Day