I went with my mother and she would tell me about the people she remembered, guess that is why I like to go to old cemetery's and look for family members. Now so many in my family are choosing cremation.
The light and the flowers are lovely - very special photos. I find old cemetery's very peaceful too but like Patsy my family's tradition is for cremation so I have no graves to visit.
What a lovely tradition. I was happy to learn that my daughter and her fiance visited the family gravesite when they were on the mainland recently - I'd never have expected that they'd remember.
You can still have a headstone even if you choose cremation..and a small amount of your ashes can be buried. We will visit some of the graves just prior to Memorial Day..and then again a week later to rescue the flowers so the people that mow the cemeteries don't have to trim around them the rest of the summer:)
Somewhere there is a baby picture of me with my Mama and Daddy. They had me lying on a pillow in a straight backed kitchen chair outside Aunt Maggie's little house. They are both looking down on me and the photo does not show their faces. Of all these old pictures I have, I cannot find that one. It makes me sad. I can't find the picture of Greg and Cassie I have titled, "The Fish Story" either. So, instead I am showing a picture of my Mama with her Mama. Except Mama always had to call her Mother. She said she would not answer her unless she did. I always thought that strange as we never called her Grandmother. I don't know why Mama (and therefore me too) was so short. Grandma was fairly tall and Grandpa was a very large man. It is a funny thing about genetics, isn't it? I have uncles over six feet tall and my Daddy was only 5'7". And sometimes those blue eyes pop up in a family of brown eyed children.
I was thinking of Valentine's Day gifts today and wondered whether Uncle Howard bought romantic gifts for Aunt Dorcas. If he did, she did not tell me about them. He used to go to the corner store every morning to buy her a six ounce bottle of cold Coca Cola. I remember Dorcas was crazy about him. Uncle Howard dated the Mother of one of my high school friends. I won't say who...just in case. Aunt Dorcas and Aunt Lizzy shared the same anniversary date. It was not planned that way but the two couples often went out to eat for their anniversary. She and Uncle Howard came to spend the night with us when we lived in Flat Rock. They chose the bedroom with just a twin bed. She said they liked to sleep close. It was a big family joke that when Howard came to visit he brought his chain saw and cut back all of Grandma's trees. We wondered if they would survive each new cut. They camped at Piney Bay every summer. Before they paved the road to Piney Bay, Dad...
Remember the mermaid painting I have grieved a whole year over leaving in that little shop in Gulf Shores, Alabama? She was still there when we went back last week. I brought her home with me this time. Her name is Anna. The fish beneath her is still scary looking. Anna is a little thicker in the middle than I remembered but she still has the loveliest arms. I am envious of pretty-armed people. Why do "things" bring us pleasure?
very nice.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful images with the morning sun.
ReplyDeleteIt's nice that you are setting such a wonderful example for them.
ReplyDeleteI think these younger generations are losing some of the respect for the older generations.... seems that they can't be bothered.
I hope that one day, my grand (if I ever get any..LOL) will do the same for me :)
Warm wishes...
Kerin
I went with my mother and she would tell me about the people she remembered, guess that is why I like to go to old cemetery's and look for family members.
ReplyDeleteNow so many in my family are choosing cremation.
The light and the flowers are lovely - very special photos. I find old cemetery's very peaceful too but like Patsy my family's tradition is for cremation so I have no graves to visit.
ReplyDeleteVery sweet.
ReplyDeleteWhat a lovely tradition.
ReplyDeleteI was happy to learn that my daughter and her fiance visited the family gravesite when they were on the mainland recently - I'd never have expected that they'd remember.
You can still have a headstone even if you choose cremation..and a small amount of your ashes can be buried. We will visit some of the graves just prior to Memorial Day..and then again a week later to rescue the flowers so the people that mow the cemeteries don't have to trim around them the rest of the summer:)
ReplyDeleteDecoration is such an important southern tradition. I want my grandson to learn about it too. It's important to remember.
ReplyDelete