Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin.
From: Listen With Mother Stories
My New Flag
Get link
Facebook
X
Pinterest
Email
Other Apps
-
My Aunt Lizzy bought me an American flag for my birthday. (I hope I can remember her birthday) Hubby put it up within 3 days time. That is a 42 year all time record for a honey-do list.
Beautiful. I love the sight of Old Glory. We spend a lot of time out of the country because of my husband's job. It is always good to get home and see Old Glory flying over here at home.
How wonderful! A friend gave us a flag to put up when we lived in NC, and here we don't have the hardware....am I sounding like a broken record? :-) So, it's never been put out. I must give my honey a nudge about this particular honey-do! I am just embarrassed!
Somewhere there is a baby picture of me with my Mama and Daddy. They had me lying on a pillow in a straight backed kitchen chair outside Aunt Maggie's little house. They are both looking down on me and the photo does not show their faces. Of all these old pictures I have, I cannot find that one. It makes me sad. I can't find the picture of Greg and Cassie I have titled, "The Fish Story" either. So, instead I am showing a picture of my Mama with her Mama. Except Mama always had to call her Mother. She said she would not answer her unless she did. I always thought that strange as we never called her Grandmother. I don't know why Mama (and therefore me too) was so short. Grandma was fairly tall and Grandpa was a very large man. It is a funny thing about genetics, isn't it? I have uncles over six feet tall and my Daddy was only 5'7". And sometimes those blue eyes pop up in a family of brown eyed children.
I was thinking of Valentine's Day gifts today and wondered whether Uncle Howard bought romantic gifts for Aunt Dorcas. If he did, she did not tell me about them. He used to go to the corner store every morning to buy her a six ounce bottle of cold Coca Cola. I remember Dorcas was crazy about him. Uncle Howard dated the Mother of one of my high school friends. I won't say who...just in case. Aunt Dorcas and Aunt Lizzy shared the same anniversary date. It was not planned that way but the two couples often went out to eat for their anniversary. She and Uncle Howard came to spend the night with us when we lived in Flat Rock. They chose the bedroom with just a twin bed. She said they liked to sleep close. It was a big family joke that when Howard came to visit he brought his chain saw and cut back all of Grandma's trees. We wondered if they would survive each new cut. They camped at Piney Bay every summer. Before they paved the road to Piney Bay, Dad...
Remember the mermaid painting I have grieved a whole year over leaving in that little shop in Gulf Shores, Alabama? She was still there when we went back last week. I brought her home with me this time. Her name is Anna. The fish beneath her is still scary looking. Anna is a little thicker in the middle than I remembered but she still has the loveliest arms. I am envious of pretty-armed people. Why do "things" bring us pleasure?
Beautiful. I love the sight of Old Glory. We spend a lot of time out of the country because of my husband's job. It is always good to get home and see Old Glory flying over here at home.
ReplyDeleteawesome. :)
ReplyDeleteWell,
ReplyDeleteHappy birthday!!
Love the new flag...what a great gift!!
Smiles :)
Kerin
How wonderful! A friend gave us a flag to put up when we lived in NC, and here we don't have the hardware....am I sounding like a broken record? :-) So, it's never been put out. I must give my honey a nudge about this particular honey-do! I am just embarrassed!
ReplyDelete